Full Time, Permanent Contract
Location – Ipswich
Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits
ABP is the UK’s leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland and Wales. Our ports include Immingham, the UK’s busiest port and Southampton, the UK’s leading export port and number one for cars and cruise. The group's other activities include rail terminal operations (Hams Hall Rail Terminal), ship's agency, dredging (UK Dredging Ltd), and marine consultancy (ABPmer). Each port also offers a well-established community of port service providers.
In 2015 ABP and its customers handled 92 million tonnes of cargo. Together with our customers, we support 84,000 jobs and contribute £5.6 billion to the UK economy every year.
The ABP Short Sea business comprises four regions and eleven ports located on the South, East and West coasts of the United Kingdom, handling around 5 million tonnes every year. The geographical spread ensures that we operate within the context of both regional & national markets, offering a unique mix of facilities.
The Port of Ipswich, situated at the head of the River Orwell and 12 miles from the open sea, is within a short sailing time from the North Sea shipping lanes. The port also has an active rail line at its west bank.
Reporting to the Operations Manager Service Delivery, the Westbank Terminal Supervisor will develop and lead an effective team to safely and sustainably supervise the day-to-day ancillary operations of the Brick and Timber Terminal delivery team.
The scope of the role covers the supervision of all resources involved in the Terminal. Loading, unloading, storage and outbound logistics including:
• Forest Products
• General Cargo
• Construction Material
The Westbank Terminal Supervisor is a critical component in driving a flexible, more cost effective Terminal performance for our Brick and Timber import operations whilst safely and sustainably supervising multifunctional teams on the Westbank Terminal.
• To supervise the effective delivery of the Westbank Terminal operation whilst ensuring operational efficiency, improved customer satisfaction and terminal layout are maximised
• To work in the ancillary Timber and Brick transhipment area, including terminal estate as and when required at the discretion of the Operations Manager when the business needs dictate
• Operate a high level of customer service and quality delivery to ABP's Westbank Terminal, including the Timber Treatment Operation
• To supervise and undertake day-to-day checks of the Timber and Brick Terminal to ensure adequate service delivery KPl’s are met
• Maintain accurate, up to date stock management controls
• Ensure compliance to the Ports safety rules when booking in external drivers collecting cargo from the Westbank Terminal
• Provide the Operations Manager with the set daily metrics on terminal efficiency
• To supervise or undertake administration associated with the Westbank Terminal Operation, to include the Timber Treatment Plant
• To act as primary and secondary movers of cargo
• To undertake ITSSAR training on plant machinery to a required standard at the discretion of the management. Operate the required Port plant in line with competency and training
• Operate computerised systems covering various functions used to effectively run the Westbank Terminal
• Ensure work completed is compliant with Health and Safety Legislation and adhere to Risk Assessments, SSOW and ABP Health & Safety Policy
• Assist in reviews of Risk Assessments & Safe Systems of Work
• Ensure best in class compliance standards are maintained for the terminal operation
• To build good working relationships with customers, colleagues and visiting drivers
• Maintain high standards of housekeeping throughout the Westbank Terminal
• Offer a flexible approach to working arrangements and terminal requirements
• Undertake other duties as required and carry out any other tasks within your skill and capability
• Provide Operational cover to the East Anglian Ports as required
• Ensure Beyond Zero becomes fully embedded in operational culture
Skills and Experience
• Ability to deliver exceptional customer service
• Flexible attitude
• Strong IT skills
• Full UK Driving Licence
• SAP experience
• Timber industry knowledge
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position also.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.