ABP is the UK’s leading port operator, with a unique network of 21 ports across England, Scotland and Wales. Our ports include Immingham, the UK’s busiest port and Southampton, the UK’s leading export port and number one for cars and cruise. The group's other activities include rail terminal operations (Hams Hall Rail Terminal), ship's agency, dredging (UK Dredging Ltd), and marine consultancy (ABPmer). Each port also offers a well-established community of port service providers.
In 2015 ABP and its customers handled 92 million tonnes of cargo. Together with our customers, we support 84,000 jobs and contribute £5.6 billion to the UK economy every year.
The ABP Short Sea Ports (SSP) business comprises four regions and eleven ports located on the South, East and West coasts of the United Kingdom, handling around 5 million tonnes every year. The geographical spread ensures that we operate within the context of both regional & national markets, offering a unique mix of facilities.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the role Assistant Operations Manager will assist with the management and cost effective, quality orientated and service driven Port operation.
The primary responsibility is to achieve targeted KPI objectives covering all Port operations. To ensure target profit levels are also achieved through excellent service levels to customers, safe working practices, cost control and the management of all resources on site.
• Assist the Operations Manager In ensuring service levels are maintained and continuously improved in line with customer requirements.
• Develop and Improve a customer first approach in all aspects of Port operations.
• Support the operations manager with vessel planning & Systems administration.
• Develop effective data capturing and collate information for month end and billing processes.
• Maximise Port facilities and services ensuring the highest standards are delivered to customers, tenants, internal departments, external subcontracts and statutory bodies.
• Encourage, coach, support and manage the performance of people and develop them to achieve excellent results.
• Adopt and foster a one team approach by liaising with all teams to ensure the whole team complete and achieve KPl’s and SLA’s.
• Anticipate and respond to operational exceptions, ensuring that they are managed efficiently to minimise cost and impact.
• Monitor and drive team performance. Take steps as necessary to ensure all team members meet required service standards and encourages all employees lo exceed standards.
• Support the team members to ensure they are aware of responsibilities with respect to security, health &safety, quality, service and all operational aspects of the role.
• Drive communications with team including formal meetings, toolbox talks to ensure that all team members are up to speed and understand what is expected of them within their roles.
• Assist the Operations Manager in delivering community relations initiatives ensuring they are aligned lo core objectives and their value is maximised.
Skills and Experience
• The role requires a self starter who can make a difference. The right person is key to us achieving our ambitions. This is the most important part of the list below and if you possess this, then we want to hear from you and what you can bring to our team.
• Proven experience in an operational supervisory role.
• Ability to deliver the ethos of exceptional customer service and always seeking to improve quality and service for both internal and external stakeholders.
• Leadership qualities to drive the current team forward and develop them within their own areas, combined with previous people and team management skills.
• Demonstrate clear abilities to influence people at all levels, internal and external, through listening and adjusting communication style to meet the needs of the audience.
• Results orientated with good project management and execution skills.
• Strong written and spoken English language skills.
• Able to act as deputy for the Operations Manager when required.
• Previous Health & Safety responsibilities (ideally IOSH or NEBOSH)
When joining ABP you will find an environment that is both welcoming and challenging. We reward our employees well and offer a generous remuneration package, employer pension, private health insurance and a range of other benefits.
Please note that ABP undertake random screening for substance abuse and operate a zero tolerance policy. A medical will be required before starting this position also.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their background, which helps us to provide a diverse and inclusive working environment.